Even if you have seemingly healthy skin, it’s a must to exfoliate your face regularly. However, exfoliation is not just about scrubbing dead skin cells off your face. To clean up your face properly, here are a few tips:
1. Exfoliate at the right times. Since our skin regenerates at night, we end up with layers of old skin on our faces in the morning. To show off that new, healthy layer of skin, we need to schedule our exfoliation session in the morning. But don’t do it every morning, either. Only exfoliate once or twice a week, as overexfoliation can irritate your skin or dry it out.
2. Use a tool to exfoliate better. It can be something as fancy as a Clarisonic brush system or as simple as a washcloth. By using a tool, you can clean your face more thoroughly than by using your hands alone.
3. Choose the right chemical exfoliant. There are two kinds of chemical exfoliants—alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) and beta hydroxy acid, or better known as salicylic acid. Before you purchase an exfoliating product that contains any of these two ingredients, you have to make sure that you’re choosing the right one. For example, AHAs are great for those who are suffering from sun damage. Meanwhile, salicylic acid is better for those who have acne-prone skin and rosacea.
4. Avoid harsh exfoliants on your face, even if they’re natural. These may irritate skin instead of exfoliating it. Some ingredients to stay away from include ground-up seeds or fruit pits, shells, and ground-up rocks.
5. Wash your face with lukewarm first before exfoliating. It can open up your pores, making it easier for the exfoliant to work.
Of course, if you have concerns about exfoliating, or are not happy with your home treatment, it’s wise to consult a dermatologist. A trained medical professional can prescribe you the right treatments for your skin, especially those that cannot be fixed by an over-the-counter product.