While they’re an essential part of any beauty maven’s arsenal, a good quality makeup sponge doesn’t come cheap. That’s why it’s essential to know how to clean and take care of these cute blenders, so they’d last a long time. Here are 7 things that you can do to make sure your sponge lasts:
1. Wash them clean after every time you use them, if possible. If not, once a week is a good timeframe. Not only does this prevent old makeup from accumulating on the sponge. This would also help keep the blender hygienic. After all, dirty sponges are safe havens for germs and bacteria that can trigger breakouts.
2. Use the proper cleansers. Too-strong detergents may leave behind a fragrance or particles that can irritate sensitive skin. That, or they may end up destroying the sponge itself. So make sure to use cleanser that’s specifically made for makeup sponges. If you’re interested in going the DIY route, you can use gentle dish soap, shampoo, or inexpensive facial cleanser mixed with water to clean your sponge. However, there have been some cases of breakouts occurring with people going the DIY route, so use the cleanser to be safe.
3. When cleaning your sponge, make sure you get all the suds out. Rinse thoroughly, else you’d end up with soap mixing in your makeup the next time you use it!
4. Air dry them. Don’t store them while they’re still wet, as this can promote the growth of mold or bacteria. You don’t want those on your skin, right? Make sure the sponge is thoroughly dry before storing it.
5. Zap bacteria on it using a microwave. If you want to be totally sure that your blender is germ-free, then give it a quick round in the microwave. Put your sponge in a half-full glass of water, heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds, then rinse. Your blender will be as good as new!