Don’t throw those falsies away! Contrary to popular belief, false eyelashes are not disposable. They can be reused over and over again, provided you know how to take care of them. So even if you’ve just bought an entire set of them, follow these tips to make sure your lashes last:
1. Make sure your hands are clean before applying or removing your false lashes. Dirt won’t only damage your lashes; it can also cause an eye infection. So wash your hands or wipe them clean with alcohol.
2. Remove them properly. Just use your fingers—not your nails, nor tweezers—to gently pull the lashes off. You can also use makeup remover to help loosen the glue holding the false eyelashes on, making them easier to detach.
3. Clean them after each use. Remove the glue and all traces of makeup from your fake eyelashes immediately after you’ve removed them. Use a cotton bud moistened with some eye makeup remover for the task. If you don’t clean them, the residue may solidify, becoming permanent clumps that can destroy your pair.
4. Dry them off and store them in a proper case. Wrapping them up in tissue paper after you’ve removed them won’t do the trick. Make sure to return your false eyelashes to their cases to prevent the hairs from being bent out of shape or getting damaged. And make sure that they’re dry; leaving them moist isn’t a very hygienic practice.
5. Keep them away from direct sunlight. Sun exposure can cause the color of the lashes to fade or warp its shape.
6. Don’t sleep with false eyelashes on. Just one wrong sleepyhead move and you may end up deforming or damaging them.
When you follow all these tips, you can be sure that you’ll be able to reuse your false eyelashes for up to 7 more times!