Applying eyeliner—whether in liquid, gel, or pencil forms—is one of the hardest makeup techniques to master. So if you haven’t still won the battle of the smudge, here are 5 tips and tricks that you can use:
1. Having problems creating a neat line when applying liquid eyeliner? Instead of trying to draw a line right away, put dots or dashes along your eyelid first, then just connect the dots (or dashes). Another trick is to draw the line with a pencil eyeliner first, then trace it over using liquid eyeliner. Just make sure you’re using the same shades or lighter for the pencil eyeliner.
2. Eyeliner crumbling apart? Stick it into the fridge for about 10 minutes to get its consistency back.
3. Messed up your eyeliner application? You can erase those smudges! Put a little petroleum jelly, primer, concealer, or clear lip gloss on a cotton bud. Then use that to lift off the eyeliner. Alternatively, use an eyeliner in the same skin tone shade to just cover up the smudges instead of completely erasing everything.
4. Ensure your eyeliner lasts the entire night. Put on a little eyeshadow on top of your eyeliner to let it set and create a more polished look.
5. Want to draw the classic cat-eye look? You don’t have to do it all freehand. You can use a variety of items to help you create the perfect shape. For example, you can use the curves of a spoon to create the perfect rounded shape on your eyes, while you can use the handle to draw that flick. You can also use the sides of a business card to draw that flick clearly. Or you can apply tape before painting with eyeliner as a guide, then remove the tape (and the smudges painted on top of it) when you’re done.