While purchasing a body scrub and rubbing yourself clean in the shower is a great start for an exfoliating routine, it can definitely be improved. Hence, here are some tips to help you get the best results out of a scrub:
1. Schedule your exfoliating session at night, once a week. That way, you get to scrub off all the dirt and dead skin off your body before you go to sleep. Meanwhile, a rubdown more than once a week can put you at the risk of overexfoliating, irritating your skin.
2. Get a dry scrub first before you shower. This can help loosen up the dead skin. For best results, use a soft brush, as a dry loofah may be too tough or abrasive. If you can’t find a brush, you can also use a pair of bath gloves. And when scrubbing dry, do it lightly; putting too much pressure will only irritate your skin.
3. In the shower, start your scrub from the feet, then going up. Most people forget cleaning the feet, when in fact it’s usually the body part that needs the most exfoliation. Other areas that are often ignored when exfoliating are the arms, chest, and the sides of your body (especially the parts near the buttocks). To scrub properly, don’t do it up and down; rub in a circular motion.
4. Rinse off using lukewarm water, not hot water. Hot water may be too harsh for the fresh new layer of skin that you uncovered after exfoliation.
5. Apply lotion after exfoliating. This can help the new layer of skin to remain soft, smooth, and firm. Besides, it’s also the best time for your skin to absorb the nutrients from the lotion.
By following these 5 tips, you’ll have better, brighter skin after every exfoliation.